Saturday 20 October 2012

The world of novelty ringtones


And so the website was born and, quite frankly, it was rubbish. To the web designers of old, I salute you. I am not a designer or a coder, my skills lie elsewhere, and if you're reading this blog then there's a pretty good chance that you know what they are.

But I was on line for the world to see, and then I decided it was a good idea to list myself on some directory sites. They were free so I figured why not? As it turns out, they turned out to be pretty useful.

A company that developed mobile phone ringtones were looking for someone to recreate dialogue from films and TV shows. Copyright rules meant that they could not use the originals, so they needed someone who could do as many impressions as possible.

The work was fun and fairly simple. I would listen to a clip and try my best to reproduce it, and I came up with a policy that I use in my business still today - if you don't feel the is good enough, you simply don't pay me for it.

Well many of them were good enough and there's a good chance that some of you reading this may well have downloaded me into your phones at some point. But there was more that we could do. We decided to think about what the characters would say if they were telling you to answer your phone or read your texts and this became a whole lot of fun. I was writing scripts, and my clients were always pleased that I had really captured the essence of what those famous characters might say if they were telling you to answer your phone.

Now I admit that my phone has no novelty tones in it, but it's always nice to hear a stranger's phone ring with one my tones, see a smile come to their face of people who hear the tone and know that I had a hand in that.

Eventually, these tones lead to the creation of The Voicemonkey and we will talk  about that in a future blog, although the link is there if you're the sort of person who reads the last page of a book way before you reach the end. I know I am.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment